Intended applicants: International investors who are not EU / EEA / Swiss Nationals and intend on residing, settling or staying indefinitely in Malta.
Main conditions for eligibility:
- Purchase or rental of a qualifying property;
- Commitment to invest at least €250,000 in approved investments held for a minimum of period of 5 years;
- The applicant must declare an annual income of not less than €100,000 arising outside Malta or has capital of not less than €500,000;
- Applicant must pay a contribution of €30,000 of which €5,500 is to be paid on application and the remaining €24,500 on approval of the application.
On acceptance, a certificate will be issued giving the applicant (and registered dependents) the right to reside, settle or stay indefinitely in Malta (Malta Schengen Visa).
- Tax is charged at progressive rates (capped at a maximum of 35%) on Malta sourced income and capital gains, and on foreign source income that is remitted to Malta.
- Foreign sourced capital gains are tax exempt in Malta (even if remitted to Malta).
- No tax is chargeable on foreign sourced income that is not remitted to Malta.
- Bank interest earned in Malta can be taxed at a 15% final withholding tax.