The Malta shipping register has developed to provide versatile solutions to cover ship owner exigencies. Efficient structures exist for the registration of ships of all description. The Maltese Registrar is staffed by experienced personnel ensuring efficient handling of client requirements. Malta provides for the registration (and all ancillary services) of the traditional shipping industry, for example the registration of tankers, cargo ships, cruise ships, barges, tugs, oil rigs (including ships under construction) but also provides for the registration of pleasure yachts and register for commercial yachts. Malta provides for a leasing structure that may be beneficial to private owners opting to have a VAT Paid certificate for their vessel.
Maltese legislation caters for:
The Benefits of the Maltese Flag
- Ships may be registered in the name of legally constituted corporate bodies or entities irrespective of nationality, or by European Union citizens
- Low company formation, ship registration and tonnage tax costs; progressive reduction in registration and tonnage tax costs for younger ships
- Attractive incentives to owners, registered charterers and financiers of Maltese ships of over 1,000 net tonnage; these incentives may also be extended to smaller ships
- No restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew.
- No restrictions on the sale or transfer of shares of a company owning Maltese ships
- No restrictions on the sale and mortgaging of Maltese ships
- No trading restrictions and, preferential treatment to Maltese ships in certain ports.
For further information about our services related to shipping and how we may help you, kindly contact us and we will be happy to assist in anyway we can.